Well, it started out as any other day. However, things started to change by early afternoon. I wasn't sure that I was in labor, but decided to leave work at 3pm. Within the 30 minutes it took me to drive home the contractions increased from 30 minutes apart to just 5! Ok, this is it!! I called Dave and asked him to meet me at home. We packed up some last minute items and waited a bit before calling the hospital. We left the house at 5...rush hour-great! By the time we got to the hospital I was ready to punch a hole through the car roof. I was so uncomfortable and I didn't know what to do to make myself feel better. As soon as I got into the hospital room I asked for something-anything! I was given some narcotic-to take the edge off-which it did. It didn't last long enough though. So it was time for the epidural. Wow! Thank goodness for that. What a difference. I could have a baby everyday. So we just hung out for awhile....
I think Dave and I were both almost asleep when I got really warm. I looked at the monitor and the baby's heart rate had dropped to 50!! The nurse rushed in shortly, broke my water, placed the electrode on the baby's head to monitor him, and gave me oxygen. She also had me roll over to all fours thinking that the baby was possibly laying on his cord. This did help and soon I was on my back again and it was time to push. Now we encountered more problems. The baby just wasn't responding well. During the contractions his heart rate would drop down to the 50's and afterward it would spike to the 170's. The nurse thought it was best that I just relax and not push anymore until the doctor got there. The doctor gave me 2 options: c-section or forceps. I opted for the latter and 1 more push and there he was!
It's amazing how much love you have for this little person that you just met. Our lives have changed forever, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment