I look at the clock. It reads 5:57 am. I let out a groan of frustration. David is awake again! This is now the fourth time tonight. Just a few days ago he only woke me up once, now this? Not that I was expecting him to start sleeping through the night, but I feel like we're taking a few steps back. I crawl out of bed and go to check on our son.
I go through the usual list : Do you want the nuk? No. How about a back rub? No. How's the diaper? Check. Burp? No. Ok, so lets try the bathroom fan (this usually calms him down instantaneously). Yep, it worked. So we go say good morning to daddy. The tranquility doesn't last long. OK, I've run out of options - he wants to eat. I give in even though it's only been 2 hours. As I 'get ready' (he must sense my frustration) and flashes a big toothless grin at me (that's not fair, I think) and all is right with the world.
Unfortunately, David didn't doze off like he usually does after a 'night-time' feeding. So we go to the swing in hopes it will soothe him back into a peaceful slumber. Then all systems go hay-wire. The light isn't working, the music is muddled. I do not have extra batteries for this thing. Images of Apollo 13 flash through my mind. So I turn off all unnecessary components. I am going to save as much 'juice' as possible. Systems are a go.
It is now 6:55 am. He's still awake. I guess they (who are they?) always say-"the early bird catches the worm". Am I the worm?
I just realized it's Friday the 13th...maybe this is why our day started off so rotten!
ReplyDeleteJess I love your writing (esp. the Apollo 13 reference!) So glad you started this blog.
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to update if anything else "off" happens today (Friday the 13th wise)!
Holy cow, did I laugh at the Apollo 13 joke.
ReplyDeleteLovely, perfect. And, yes. You ARE the worm. Aren't you glad the little stinker wants to catch YOU? You must be pretty special.:)
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog, and we love it. Love the pictures, and we feel like we can see little David grow and change, along with his parents!
ReplyDelete